Search This Blog

Monday 3 December 2012

The Village Yogi (Inc.)

“When people are ready to, they change. They never do it before then, and sometimes they die before they get around to it. You can't make them change if they don't want to, just like when they do want to, you can't stop them.” 
― Andy WarholAndy Warhol in His Own Words

Well amazing changes are underway. By the most fascinating of coincidences and the luck of being at the right place at the right time. I have decided to re-open my yoga studio. After almost 3 years of deliberation, vacillating between uncertainty, fear, judgement and a hollowness within me that I just couldn't fill, I have decided to follow my bliss. The last 2 years working in Burlington and the GTA for a prominent hot yoga franchise have really taught me a lot.Almost as if preparing me for this time I'm now entering.  I've learned what works and what really doesn't work in the "business of yoga". I've watched, often exasperatedly, as people have driven their studios into the ground simply because they didn't have the respect they needed for themselves, their staff or the practice itself, to really allow the business to flourish.

After many months of offering advice, energy and endless hours teaching and driving to out of town studios, I realized my passion was still very much intact. I actually questioned that for a while. I have experienced a lot over the last decade as a yoga teacher. Some things beautiful and deeply inspiring. Others, well, other things very very upsetting. I have stayed calm and quiet as I watch inexperienced "teachers" open yoga studios where clients are repeatedly injured. I have remained silent when other yoga teachers blatantly bad mouth their fellow teachers in an attempt to fill their classes. And through all of this I questioned whether the popularity of Yoga was a good or a bad thing and whether it was really worth it for me to continue on this path or not. There has been a lot of doubt plaguing me these last few years.

But something has shifted. I realize I LOVE what I do. I feel most centered, most healthy, and most connected to a power far greater than me when I am teaching and interacting with my community in a way that actually BUILDS community and brings people together in positive healthy ways. I have missed having my own space where I can allow my creativity to flourish.

Sometime this September it hit me - I. Am. Ready. And the moment I made that decision in my heart everything changed. Almost as if things began to speed up. I found the most perfect space for the new studio. Well actually, the space kinda found me! It's spacious, a few blocks from my home in this town that I adore, and is actually so much better than I could have imagined. It is currently a PreSchool that has operated for about 8 years.Granted, there are a lot of renovations to do and a lot of work ahead of me. But I am happy. I am grateful. And I am so looking forward to creating a space where all people can feel welcome, supported and inspired. I have so many wonderful ideas!

With nearly 12 years of teaching experience and over 2000 hrs in certifications and courses under my belt I think it's time. It's time for me to step out of the shadows and into something wonderful. I am currently auditioning teachers to help create The Village Yogi's family and plan to employ only experienced teachers with a similar intention to mine - to create ripples of positive change, to help other's align with their True Selves, and to work together to spread love and compassion one breath at a time.

So far the studio is set to open Feb/March of this coming winter - just in time to help beat the winter blahs. There will be a multitude of classes offered 7 days a week. Even though I have absolutely no idea how some of this is going to work out - I trust that this is the right thing. Everything about it feels wonderful. I look so forward to sharing this journey with you....Stay tuned for updates, pictures and (I'm sure) lots of hilarity....

Heeeere we go!


1 comment: